All this week, we will be featuring recipes that use tea or go well with tea to help you prepare for Valentine’s Day.
When making dinner for your valentine, you dont want to start with the entree. Begin with a soup or salad to show your culinary skill. Why not make a soup using one of the healthies teas around, rooibos tea?
WHOLESOME BEAN SOUP (Serves 8 to 10 people)
3 litres (just over 12.5 cups) of rooibos tea (use about 10 tea bags)
650 grams (23 ounces) butter beans or lima beans
150 grams (just over 5 ounces) bacon, diced
3 large onions, peeled and chopped
15 ml (just over 1 tablespoon) lemon pepper
200 grams (7 ounces) marrow bones
1 bay leaf
1. Wash beans and soak overnight in rooibos tea
2. Sauté bacon and onions for a couple of minutes
3. Drain beans and add to onions and bacon in saucepan
4. Add rooibos tea and remaining ingredients and bring to the boil
5. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 2 hours until beans are tender
6. Serve with wholewheat bread.